INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE
- 1 Lemon
- 600g Salmon fillets without the skin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Organic orange
- 200g Apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp Madeira (or substitute with a dry port or sherry)
- 2 Tsp Sambal Oelek
- 2 Tsp Kuehne Medium Hot Mustard
- 40g Sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp Oil
1. Squeeze the lemon. Cut the salmon fillet crosswise into 2 cm wide strips (about 1 cm thick), removing any bones. Drizzle with some lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool.
2. Wash the orange in hot water and wipe dry. Remove the zest and finely chop. Cut 1 orange half into slices, squeeze the juice from the other half.
3. Mix the jam with 2 tbsp of orange juice, the Madeira as desired, sambal oelek and mustard. Add the orange zest, salt and pepper. Season with lemon juice.
4. Pat the salmon dry. Pour the sesame seeds into a dish and roll the fish in it until coated. Add oil to fry pan, sear the salmon over medium heat on each side for about 2 minutes. Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with the orange slices.
*Tip: The spicy apricot dip also goes well with rice dishes, grilled chicken, crispy chicken wings or fried tofu strips.
*Spicy variation – for the dressing, replace the sambal oelek with very finely chopped fresh ginger or chopped, pickled green peppercorns.*